Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Traveling Gluten Free



Where does the time go???

Oh my, I didn't post at all for the month of May.  I finally have time to sit down & write a blog post & it's June!!!

Life has been busy, as usual.  We were wrapping up homeschooling 1st grade & then we went on vacation!  I really felt like I needed a vacation & it was fabulous!

We live in sunny Southern California.  It is nice here, we have it all--oceans, beaches, deserts, mountains, forests, the list goes on & on.  Yet, because it's so nice, it's also super crowded.  And there's also so much more beauty out there in other parts of the country that I so enjoy seeing.

This time we headed to Idaho.  We went there almost 2 years ago & had a great time, but last year some of our family actually moved there.  So it was wonderful to be able to go & see them.  We had a wonderful time.  We stayed around the Boise area (Meridian, Nampa, Eagle, Star, Middleton mostly).

Traveling can be tough when you have celiac disease or any food related issue.  Eating out safely is very challenging for my son & I.   We really love traveling by motorhome.  I did a lot of traveling by motorhome with my family when I was a kid.  And I love being able to do it now & let my son have great memories too, just like I did as a kid.

Traveling by motorhome does really help when you have celiac, or any other food related issue.   But no matter HOW we travel I always do some homework before going.  I search for gluten free places to shop & eat & check ratings for how good they are.  My favorite app on my iPhone is "Find Me GF".  I also do a google search.

Some areas definitely have more gluten free offerings than others.  Last summer we went to Santa Barbara for our anniversary & we found a lot of great gluten free offerings.  But then we headed to Solvang & found absolutely zero gluten free offerings there!

Around the Boise area there is a Whole Foods Market.  There's also Jake's Gluten Free market, which was really nice & the owner was well educated about gluten, which is hard to find sometimes.  There is also the Boise Co-op in Meridian, which has some gluten free foods.  It's a lot like Whole Foods, but with better prices.  There's a place called "Hello Dinner" that I saw online but we never made it there.  It seems they offer gluten free food prepped for simplified cooking of meals, which isn't really something I need or like to pay for.  But it's great for those who need it.  There is a bakery called Amaru Confections, which is a regular bakery, but they later purchased a separate building & turned that into a dedicated gluten free facility, so they offer both gluten & gluten free.  We didn't go here, I had already baked & brought goodies with us, but it's nice to know they do have a bakery option.





The one place we did eat, twice in fact, was Costa Vida.  This is a chain that we don't have in Southern California, at least not yet.  They have reformulated everything on their menu to be gluten free.  So the only ingredient they have that contains gluten is the wheat tortillas.  I'm hoping they'll come to Southern California, the food was amazing good!  The first time we went I had a shredded beef burrito bowl.  It was some of the best beef I've ever had, truly amazing.  The second time we went I had chicken enchiladas with rice & beans.  They were really good too, but I still love that beef!  And me & my son didn't get sick!!

Overall we had a great time in Idaho.  It is so beautiful there & there is so much water EVERYWHERE!  It's so nice to see that much water after living in a drought for so many years now. As much as I want to continue traveling & seeing other places, I also can't wait to go back to Idaho!!

For now we are working on summer school & getting set up for 2nd grade.  And I really need to get some essential oil classes set up!

I would love to hear from my readers, where have you travelled & how did you handle eating safely?

No comments:

Post a Comment