Thursday, March 31, 2016

Gut Healing Gummies!



Oh my goodness!!!   My goal is to post a blog post at least once a week & over a month has now passed!

Life has been just too crazy busy lately.  I'm hopefully back on track now, although we do have a big birthday party coming up for my son & we are wrapping up the end of 1st grade for my son.  We are a homeschooling family & we follow our own school schedule--we should be done with first grade around the end of April.  But then we'll be starting "summer school" in May.  Hopefully the busy-ness involved won't keep me from the blog!

One of my most requested blog posts is for the gut-healing gummies that I make for my son.  They are super easy & so fun!!  You can find a wide variety of molds (you want silicone molds) on Amazon.  I have a gummy bear mold, since my son adores teddy bears (he calls them Buddies & he calls gummy bears Cubby Buddies).  And I also got some dinosaur ones too since he also adores dinosaurs.  But you can find a huge variety & choose what you think you're child will like best.

So here's the basic recipe:

1/2 Cup juice
6-10 teaspoons gelatin (I use & highly recommend Vital Proteins brand-I've blogged about it before)
Sweetener, if desired
Supplements, etc if desired

So my son LOVES lemonade & lemon-flavored everything.  So for his gummies I use Lemonade as the juice.   But you can use any juice or combination of juice that you prefer.  You can even use elderberry syrup, although you may want to thin it out a little, depending on how thick it is.

I usually use 8 teaspoons of gelatin, but you can adjust the amount depending on what texture you prefer, softer or firmer.

Sweetener depends on how sweet the juice you're using is & how sweet you want your gummy to be. You can use any sweetener you like--honey, brown rice syrup, agave, or even cane sugar, etc.

Supplements are the most exciting part of making gummies IMHO.  You can customize it to contain whatever you or your family needs most.  I frequently include fish oil, essential oils, probiotics, vitamin D3, the options are truly endless.  For many you will want to let it cool down before adding the supplements.  And then you put it into the molds & finish it off.

So here's the run down of HOW to make these:

*In a saucepan combine the juice & gelatin.  Whisk together as you heat it until the gelatin melts completely into the juice.




*Take off the heat & whisk in sweetener, if using.
*Allow to cool & add in supplements, if using.
*Fill the molds. (I like to put the mixture into a squeeze bottle so I can squeeze into molds neatly & not waste or make a mess)


*Place the molds in the freezer for 10 minutes.
*Remove from freezer, pop out of molds, store in refrigerator.

Note: If you don't eat these up quickly enough they will start to mold, but this has only happened to us once.  You can also cut this recipe in half if you're concerned that you might not finish them up within a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment